August 1, 2011

The Air Raid


**This is the story I wrote for a contest at Panglou's blog http://themistywizard.blogspot.com/ **

As I jumped out of the Spiral door, I instantly knew something was amiss. The church was filled with Marlyebonians trying to get into an underground room. All the windows were covered with thick, dark sheets and very few candles were lit. I noticed that a friend of mine was standing in an archway to my right so I headed that way. It was then that I heard the airplanes...followed by an enormous explosion that shook the ground.

I reached my friend and asked, "Whats going on? What was that explosion?"

They replied, "The city is under attack. Hamburgian* bombers were sited offshore a few hours ago and apparently---"
Suddenly the air was filled by the sound of planes again, but this time no bombs fell. It was a few moments later that we heard the gunfire as the Marleybone Airforce attacked the Hamburgians. Everyone that was still in the Spiral Door chamber cheered and then headed below, including me and my friend. 

*****

It seemed like the gunfire went on for hours. Every so often, a faint crashing noise could be heard, and we could only hope it was a Hamburgian. 

Then the gunfire stopped. We all sat silently, anxious for what would happen next. Someone lifted the trap door and looked out...he us that he couldn't see anything, even with his torch(flashlight) because it was just too dark. We continued to sit there. Some even nodded off and went to sleep.

I was just beginning to close my eyes when suddenly, the siren went on. A few people had jumped and the sudden loud noise, then everyone climbed the steps out of the chamber. When we opened the door of the church, we beheld a sad sight. Shops were destroyed, one side of the fountain had been damaged causing water to flood the streets, and worst of all, the Barkingham Palace had been hit. 

Many people had lost their homes, their work, and even some friends. During the first week after the raid, I helped many people to clear the rubble of their homes. I also helped block the fountain's side so no more water could leak out. It was fun to take food around to those who needed it, especially when I saw the look of happiness on their weary faces.

I was sad when I got a message from Professor Drake that I needed to return for a very large assignment in Wizard City. Apparently the creatures of the three streets had attacked and taken over Olde Town, and I as a Magus Conjurer was needed to help fight back the creatures of Cyclops Lane.

*****

It was many weeks before I was able to return to Marleybone. When I arrived I found both good and bad news. The good was that they had been able to rebuild many of the homes and shops of Regent Square. The fountain had been repaired and made even more beautiful than before. The sad news was that my friend had joined the Air Force shortly after I left. He was in group that was sent to attack some incoming enemy panes a few days before...and his plane was shot down by a Hamburgian over the channel. 

Regent Square would never be the same without my good old friend. We had shared many visits to the Museum. Talked about the latest news in Marleybone over a nice mug of cold, frothy Root Beer at the pub. And shared in the joy of dropping water balloons from the airships as we traveled to his home in Chelsea Court. I was going to miss that friend...

*Hamburg is the name I created for Germany in Wizard101. (since Marleybone is a city in England)

No comments: